The ARIES mission is: ‘to train PhD students with excellent potential from across society, equipping them with the necessary skills to become 21st Century Scientists: leaders in the science and sustainable business of the natural environment’.
We will train scientists to better understand and manage our planet by:
– Developing multiple cohorts of students with advanced skills and knowledge, multidisciplinary outlooks, and potential to operate successfully across all postgraduate careers;
– Assembling a diverse and integrated training partnership that enables students to address priority topics in environmental sciences through cutting-edge, world-leading research;
– Training all our students to understand modern methods of data management, interrogation, analysis and presentation, from bioinformatics to artificial intelligence;
– Ensuring our graduates engage with interfaces between science and societal needs by growing their ability to achieve non-academic impact and effective public engagement.
Linking to our vision of the 21st century scientist, the whole-cohort training events will focus on 5 skill areas:
– Developing understanding and skills in the management and use of big data
– Impact, innovation and engagement in commercial and non-commercial environments
– Development of multidisciplinarity, including awareness of the wider NERC remit and an understanding of social science and translating research into policy and government
– Transferrable skills training
– Completion, careers and employability