Students must meet all of the eligibility requirements listed below to apply for a REP:
· Be undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters).
· Be applying for a placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree
· Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding, i.e.:
- A UK citizen, OR
- An EU citizen with pre- or settled status under the EU settlement scheme, OR
- A non-EU citizen who has obtained the right to remain in the UK, OR
- An International/EU student already studying in the UK and currently under a Tier 4 or Student Route Visa with validity until at least October 2021.
The deadline for applications will be 4th June 2021. Browse available REP projects here.
- In order to be considered for a placement, please apply to email@example.com providing the following:
- A supporting statement explaining your motivation for applying for this project. Please include answers to the following questions:
- which project are you applying for?
- why have you applied for this project (e.g. what interested you about this project, what in particular made you want to undertake this research)?
- what do you hope to achieve by undertaking this placement (e.g. is it for experience, to gain skills, to develop your interests)?
- what skills do you have that make you an ideal candidate for this placement (e.g. what skills have you developed during your degree that might apply)?
- what do you hope to do when you complete your degree (e.g. have you considered a working in scientific research in the future, or is this your first experience)?
- A recent CV
- A reference from your personal tutor
- An interim transcript if available
- Please also complete the online EDI form (this form is a mandatory part of the application process, but contains ‘prefer not to say’ options for all questions asked)
· Applications are screened for eligibility
· Applications are forwarded to supervisors (the EDI form is not included)
· Supervisors shortlist candidates and interview for the placement.
Candidates will be scored according to the following criteria:
- Fit to project (e.g. your current skills, area of study, interests)
- Enthusiasm for environmental research (e.g. what you hope to achieve through undertaking this placement, why you chose this project in particular)
- Evidence of suitability to undertake a research placement (e.g. evidence from your tutor reference, transcript, and CV that you are an engaged student)
Successful candidates will be informed by 11th June