The NERC Research Experience Placement scheme
Research Experience Placements (REPs) are paid Summer internships at EnvEast partners for Home/EU undergraduates from any university who are studying Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Computing, or other quantitative disciplines, who wish to gain experience of research in the Environmental Sciences.
Successful undergraduate applicants are paid a stipend of at least £200 per week for a placement of 8-10 weeks during the Universities’ summer recess. Up to £500 funding is also available to supervisors to use for expenses incurred by the research project. Successful candidates will later be encouraged to apply for a NERC-funded PhD in the Environmental Sciences.
To be considered for this scheme, students must meet all of the following criteria:
– Be studying for a degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, or physics, but NOT environmental sciences);
– Be applying for a placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree (i.e. you cannot undertake a placement in the same school/department as that in which you are registered for your undergraduate degree. But you could switch school/department at the university where you are currently studying);
– Be in the middle of their first degree studies (including integrated Masters);
– Be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent;
– Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (In most cases, students paying Home/EU tuition fees will be eligible)
For clarity, these placements are open to all students from any university, who meet the above criteria.
How to apply
Applications will open in April for EnvEast’s 2019 Research Experience Placements.
Candidates may apply for up to two EnvEast REP projects each year. To apply, candidates should send a C.V., a statement of up to 200 words stating which project you wish to apply for and why, and the name of a member of staff who can vouch for your academic abilities (e.g. your academic adviser/tutor).
The deadline for applications is Thursday 16 May 2019.
Any enquiries about the EnvEast REP scheme should be sent to David/Mavis at email@example.com.